[rescue] DigitalServer 3305R/AS800 questions

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Tue Apr 16 08:16:44 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Chris Petersen wrote:

> > > Maybe this is a missunderstandig...
> > > I don't know. You are the IBM head. I know only about the DEC cards. So
> > > when you know that IBM has something similar...
> >
> > Ah.  I misunderstood.  We were talking about the weird fact that he had
> > found an Alpha with an IBM POWER GXT250P RS/6000 video card in it.  I
> > believe the GXT250P is an IBM RGB420 chipset.
>
> Actually, several of the nicer Intergraph cards used IBM chipsets, so
> that may help explain the confusion.  In particular, IBM's RAMDACs
> were/are very popular for high-end video applications.

You mean the RGB256?  It's a sweet chip.

> Of course, the are several other OEMs besides Intergraph (themselves at the
> time just an OEM) that make use of IBM's graphics chipsets as well.  Being
> that this is a Digital Server 3305, it falls in the old white-box NT lineup.
> They used a bunch of different make video cards for those, so it could be
> from any number of manufacturers.

If it's a white-box NT card, it probably one of the low-end RGB4XX
chipsets.  The higher end chipsets are extremely expensive.  The ATI
(formerly Diamond) FireGL cards all use IBM chipsets.  I think the
top-of-the line FireGL4 uses an IBM RGB550 or RGB558 chipset, which would
put it roughly inline with the POWER GXT550P.

> BTW, for those that didn't know/realize it, the nice Digital cards
> were made by Intergraph, from a couple of different lineups of cards,
> in particular the Wildcat.  Intergraph spun the Wildcat business off
> back in about '97 or so, and since then it's been acquired a couple of
> times and is now owned by 3D Labs.  They *still* OEM cards for several
> manufacturers.  Based on the specs I've seen, the new Sun card may
> very well be a Wildcat 6xxx series card, not sure.

The card for which I drool is the POWER GXT9500P.  2 IBM RGB512VV
chipsets.  4.66 GFLOPS.  *drool*

Peace...  Sridhar