[rescue] 13w3w Monitor cable lengths

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Mon Apr 15 20:48:11 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Big Endian wrote:

> >	Can any one tell me what the practical cable length is for a 13w3w
> >monitor cable? I'm hooking up a SGI 21" (HL7965KG-SG for those
> >interested,) to a rack of Sun Sparc 20's, a Indigo, and a couple of PC's.
> >The monitor is on a desk across the room. I'm going to be going through a
> >low-end switch box, but it's monitor only at this point.
> >Recommendations for decent multi-purpose switch boxes under the $200 range
> >capable of 4 connections would be appreciated.
>
> I regularly use a 25 foot cord.. my impression is that if you use
> quality cables, you can run for 100s of feet.

Actually, it starts to become a problem with quality cable after about 50
feet.  After that, you need a video line driver.  You can get a really
nice one pretty cheap.  Check at professional television/video production
supply places.  Shouldn't be more than $250 for 100 ft of cable and a line
driver.

Peace...  Sridhar