[rescue] Cooling (was S: 512M (4x128M) U5/10 DIMMs)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 15 17:04:23 CDT 2002

> > So, what do y'all do for cooling at home?
>
>   Heh...move to an area without a homeowners' association!
> (a.k.a. busybodies and lifestyle conformity enforcers association)

But Dave...what about all the WIIIIRES?   That CANNNN'T be
LEEEEEGGAAALLL...

My solution was to put the "machine room" in the basement--nice
and cool, second fridge gives a place for beer, and no floor
like Dave.

I'm no HVAC guru but I've played around enough--at least one
of the folks asking about this has *central air* and the
upstairs is too hot in summer?  You can't really fix it without
multi-zone climate control (need a separate feedback loop for
the room with extra heat load) but you can do wonders by
adjusting the floor vents--and even better, look for (or install)
dampers in the supply ductwork.

In previous (rental) townhouse, the upstairs was beastly hot in
summer until a neighbor was over and realized I didn't understand
the glorious damper system.  If your top floor supply is separate
from lower floor supply, then shut the lower floor damper and
direct all the coolth to the top--it'll filter down and your
top floor will be livable again.

  --Rip (in his 63 degree basement on a 82 degree day, no A/C)