[rescue] Cooling (was S: 512M (4x128M) U5/10 DIMMs)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 15 16:47:27 CDT 2002

On April 15, Big Endian wrote:
> >   Picture a 12'x18' (or so) room containing about nine racks...two racks
> >full of Sun3/60 boards in 12-slot VME chassis (six 3/60 boards per
> >chassis, three chassis per rack) running netbooted, two Sun4/300
> >systems and five Sun4/400 systems, each in a 3/180 rackmount VME
> >chassis, about fifteen CDC Sabre 8" SMD drives, two CDC PA1A9A 14" SMD
> >drives (9A/ea continuous), and about six Livingston Portmaster PM2E-30
> >terminal servers...each with thirty AT&T/Paradyne *external* 14.4Kbps
> >modems connected to them.  Oh, and about eight VT220 and VT320
> >terminals.
>
> damn.  That is impressive.  This was in '93 you said?

  Yup.  It was two Sun3/180s and a couple of 3/60 workstations when I
arrived on 1/1/93; things ramped up very quickly shortly thereafter.
Things reached the configuration I described above by early summer.

> How full did the Portmasters get?

  100%...We had busies at peak times.

> >   This was a *FUCKING LOT* of heat.
>
> no shit.

  We didn't have money or sleep...but we had fun!

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill