[rescue] Re: Sun 711's

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Apr 14 11:04:35 CDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Eric Webb wrote:

> Do the 711's require any specific kind of sled or can it be faked
> somehow?  Any idea where I can get these sleds or does any of you have
> 'em?

711 is Multipack, right? If so, it uses the standard Ultra sleds ("SPUD")
as pictured at http://store.yahoo.com/memx/5403024mx.html ... The one
at http://www.memoryx.net/3301951.html is cheaper (I think that's the
kind from older Multipacks and the older SSAs) and it may work too. There
is also a 1.6" spud that looks like http://www.memoryx.net/5403328.html
which may work if you're only using 6 slots in your Multipack.

If you can't find these, let me know and I'll poke at my sources. I have a
couple of "spares" here but kinda need them for my own Multipack if I ever
get the critter going. I do have sources though.

Hmmm. 1.6" spuds $100 buy-it-now for qty 10 at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2015718548 seems like a
good deal. Same seller has some 1" spuds (if you're putting 12 drives in
your pack) but they're not as cheap and not buy-it-now.

Oh, and AVOID SILICONGEAR BRACKETS LIKE THE PLAGUE... one of my vendors
used to send those, and they'd break 50% of the time just getting them
spread out to go around the drive. The ones that didn't break didn't quite
catch going into the E450 and multipacks I was using them in. You can get
others cheap enough.

--Rob