[rescue] OpenBSD/sparc is Kicking my Butt

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Apr 13 18:02:34 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 12:38, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I must be doing something wrong here.  NetBSD/sparc was cake to install.
> OpenBSD/i386 was, too.  Why is OpenBSD/sparc being such a pain?

Heh, and I'm still struggling to get NetBSD/sparc running, while
OpenBSD/sparc has been going strong on my SS2 for a couple of years now.

> Here's the setup:  I've got a SPARCclassic with 24MB memory, 500MB disc,
> an external Plextor 36-speed CD-ROM[1].
>
> I downloaded everything in the 3.0/sparc directory from one of the OpenBSD
> mirrors.  All the checksums matched, so I burned the sparc directory to a
> CD.  Trying to boot bsd.rd or bsd from the CDROM gives "the file just
> loaded does not appear to be executable".
>
> So, I popped over to the Ultra10 and made a boot-floppy:
>
>    dd if=/usr/openbsd/3.0/sparc/floppy30.fs of=/dev/rdiskette0 bs=36b
>
> Then, I read the floppy back, and diffed it against the original image.
> Everything checks out.  So, I pop it in the 'classic and tried "boot
> floppy bsd".  That yields "Can't read disk label. / Can't open Sun disk
> label package / Can't open boot device".  Plain "boot floppy" does the
> same thing.

You might try cleaning out the drive, in case it's just reading things
badly.

> Okay, hrm.  That sucks.  So, I net-boot off the Ultra:
>
>    boot net-tpe:192.168.20.8,bsd.rd,192.168.20.3
>
> And -that- yields lots of twirling-baton action culminating in the
> following error message: "The file just loaded is intended for a different
> CPU type.".  Running "file" on the Ultra shows that it is, indeed, a SPARC
> executable.

Hmm, I could have sworn that I had 'file' tell me something about which
SPARC version a given executable would run on, but I can't make it do
that now.  :-/  I'll grab OpenBSD a bit later, and see what happens when
I try to boot it on my SS2.  Mike's SS4 has a MicroSPARC II, which is a
bit newer than the MicroSPARC in your LX.

> Is it possible that bsd.rd -only- works on SuperSPARC (SPARC v8) chips?
> I've got a MicroSPARC in here, which I -think- is SPARC v7.

I think the MicroSPARC is like V7 and a half, or something silly.  I'm
relatively sure that the SPARCstation 2 was the last pure SPARC v7
machine.  Ah, ok, the TI microSPARC was indeed a SPARCv8 cpu.  Weird.
More looking is required...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.