[rescue] OpenBSD/sparc is Kicking my Butt

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Sat Apr 13 15:49:12 CDT 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 04:42 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > > Here's the setup:  I've got a SPARCclassic with 24MB memory, 500MB
> > > disc, an external Plextor 36-speed CD-ROM[1].
> >
> > How is the memory configured?  What number of SIMMs, in which slots?
>
> Six four megabyte SIMMs; one in each slot.
>
> > Aside from that, you may have a bad floppy and need to try a different
> > floppy.
>
> It formats/verifies okay, and yields the same result when I try to boot
> the Ultra10 with it.  I realize the U10 isn't at -all- supported, but I'd
> expect a different error message--the kernel flailing its arms and giving
> up or somesuch.

OK, this might be silly but you do realize there are two Sparc ports on the
CD. Sparc and Sparc64, you aren't trying to boot the 64 bit code by chance?

I am running 3.0 on an SS4 with -zero- problems. If booting from a floppy get
the latest image from the obsd ftp site. Also check the errata page for any
known issuses.

All else fails subscribe then post to sparc at openbsd.org

Mike N