[rescue] Integration of heterogeneous network

Kenneth Dunn luser at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 12 07:29:01 CDT 2002

I need some input. I have a home LAN with 2x Linux PC, 1x NetBSD (vax),
1x Windows 2000 server, 1x Solaris 8 (x86), 2x Win9x, 1x NT 4.0
wrkst (x86), part time NT 4.0 srvr / Tru64 (4.0B) - soon to be
100% OpenVMS (7.? ?) . Future additions include Irix 6.5, and possibly
at a much later date OS/400 & HP-UX.

Physically I have no problems networking the above.

I'm looking for a nice way to have seemless logins and file sharing
between the above computers.

Problem: NIS on NetBSD 1.5.something doesn't support MD5 passwords,
I can't find any free NIS+NFS solution for Windows. LDAP for
Win9x and NT 4.0 just ain't going to happen, NetBSD doesn't appear to
support it either. The answer to VMS is ???

Assume I'm going to end up with Linux server with NIS (no MD5) and NFS
also providing SMB filesystem and authentication, win9x domain logins.
VMS - I'm buggered if I know the answer to that one. I really want to
use LDAP for experimental purposes.

Also plan to use Tarantella Enterprise 3.20 on the Lintel PC I'm
calling a "server". Solaris would be the prefered NFS server, but that
machine is only a Pentium 133Mhz/64MB RAM/9GB HDD. Have no intention
of spending any more money on Solaris x86, and any Sparc worth using
isn't going to appear until I have payed off a few debts.

The "LAN" was going to get 24x7 (NAT/firewalled) network access over
3 months ago but been spending to much money on hard/software. It will
happen REAL SOON<tm> - am awaiting on myself to make a decission on
whether to get a new job or not.

What suggestions have you ?