[rescue] Okay, I give up (RS/6000 console cable)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Thu Apr 11 10:47:37 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 07:52:22AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> I'd reply off-list, but your server doesn't like me (because I'm on free
> bandwidth whose upstream[1] refuses to read RFC 2317).

do you want Real Email(TM) who's bandwidth provider follows all the rules?
you get your choice of IMAP or POP3.

> Sweet.  Will that work in here?  I thought it expected the framebuffer to
> plug into that weird connector on the system board.

yours is in fact an MCA based RS/6000, yes?  if so, it _should_ Just Work(TM).

> Now I just need a Unix-style monitor switchbox (or KVM).

you've got an Octane, so you can at least come up with a monitor to steal for
the install, right?  other than that you are on your own for the KVM deal, i'm
very strict about the only machine in my house with a head is my workstation,
although soon the Onyx will get a head, but that's a special case.

> > the RS/6000 uses PS/2 keyboards and mice, so that should be easy
> > enough to come by.
>
> That's what I -thought-, but it's IBM.  Sorta like SGI, you never know
> what they might've done weird this time.

just think about the name.  PS/2, PS/2, PS/2.  :)

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -