[rescue] x10 controllers for remote power mgmt?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Apr 10 13:37:52 CDT 2002

Assume that system A and system B are in the same room, reachable via
the Internet.

What is the cheapest way to remote power cycle A or B?  Unfortunately
neither A nor B is a E4500 with LOM :-( .

When I check out the x10 controllers, apparently there are utilities
to communicate over serial with an x10 power controller and turn
things off or on.  Would this work well with copmuter equipment?

I have heard good things about the APC MasterSwitch but they are a
little pricier than an x10 solution.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net