[rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs

Larry Snyder larrys at lexis-nexis.com
Sat Apr 6 16:24:31 CST 2002

Eric Webb <ttlchaos at randomc.com> wrote:
> But is there anything to prove that a machine isn't going to work all the
> same with the square wave?  Maybe it's yucky to you, but how do we know it's
> yucky to the machine?
>
> -E.

Sharkfin regulators depend on the slope of that sine to work.  Give 'em
a step function and they'll puke all over themselves and whatever
they're powering.  If it conducts for the first 45 deg after zero-
crossing and cuts off, the peak it hits is 70% of the sine peak.  With
a square wave it's 100%.  That's nearly 50% above the design center
value, and definitely bad juju.
-ls-