[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri Apr 5 14:06:09 CST 2002

>  > I honestly don't know much about iMacs other than the Rev
>>  A/B which I wish I didn't know...
>>
>    Agreed. *shudder*
>>
>>  Shweet!  I *LOVED* my 1400.
>>
>    Also agreed. Sadly, mine's only a 117cs -- the cacheless wonder with the
>crummy display -- but I'm still fond of it.

mine was a 166c... damn I miss that box.  But LCDs don't un crack.

>  >
>>  > ...is a cheap iMac acceptable for OS X stuff?
>>
>>  If it has the Rage128 graphics on it it should work ok...
>>
>    From the web pages: "ATI RAGE 128 Ultra graphics accelerator with 16MB of
>SDRAM dedicated graphics memory; AGP 2X support; Three crisp, flicker-free
>screen resolutions: 640 by 480 pixels at 117 Hz, 800 by 600 pixels at 95 Hz,
>and 1024 by 768 pixels at 75 Hz" -- so that looks good. (What's up with the
>"AGP supprt"? Who cares, given that I can't get to the slot? Is it
>more-complete support for the card or something?)

Its an AGP interconnect between the (likely)uni-north and the rage
chip.  there is no slot... its just wired as AGP instead of PCI.

>  >
>>  ...as they tend to have 100mhz bus on the Rage128-based systems
>>
>    Again, you're right on: "500MHz or 600MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 256K
>on-chip level 2 cache running at full processor speed; 100MHz system bus"
>    The limited cache is a drag, but if I'm cutting orners then I ought not
>to be suprised by this kind of stuff.

Yeah... thats one of the reasons I don't like the iMacs.

>    Now, an iBook (getting back on topic) would be good stuff even for a
>person who stayed at their desk a lot: you can move it around, it's tidier
>than a iMac or tower-case, and you still get a *lot* of stuff in there.
>(They do make a big step from low-end to high-end, though, don't they? Bus
>speed, processor speed, display size: yikes.)

yeah they do.  I personally thing the mobile line hit its peak with
the Pismo (best damn laptop I've ever owned).

>    Thanks for the thoughts, Big-End Daniel.

Is that an ass joke?

daniel