[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Fri Apr 5 13:44:23 CST 2002

>  > OK... Most g3 and up powerbooks can do this, its just a matter
>>  of how *WELL* it works.
>>
>    Grabbing the wheel and swerving the topic to one side, can you discuss
>how well OS X runs on the lower-end G3 iMacs (500 MHz G3, I think) that
>they're peddling now? (I just want to open terminals to SSH into work, plus
>surf the web and experiment with a tiny bit of digital vdeo: mostly one
>minutes grabs from my Sony camcorder.)

I honestly don't know much about iMacs other than the Rev A/B which I
wish I didn't know...

>  >
>>  Too bad, macs are fun machines.
>>
>    Tell it!
>    If only I could get some BSD lovin' for my PowerBook 1400 with no
>internal CD-ROM. (I have a pile of external SCSI deivces: CD drive, Zip 100,
>Jaz drive; got a good external display card, too.) *sigh* The little guy is
>all souped-up, too, with a 10GB drive and maximum RAM, just sitting there,
>and even a wireless card that actually works under Mac OS 8.6 on the campus
>network, too.

Shweet!  I *LOVED* my 1400.  Built like a fucking TANK.  I dropped it
half a dozen times and no problems.

>  >
>>  I would recommend a Pismo or a TiBook over the iceBook for
>>  most people, but in this case price is probably a more
>>  deciding factor than speed.
>>
>    I used to support Macs, but I never got to use "consumer" OS X, only OS X
>Server on a B&W G3 tower. I'm currently working on convincing my wife to buy
>a Mac but it will be *minimal* spending. So again I ask, given that any
>Apple portable is too expensive (and fragile, with a 3 year-old and another
>on the way), is a cheap iMac acceptable for OS X stuff?

If it has the Rage128 graphics on it it should work ok as they tend
to have 100mhz bus on the Rage128 based systems, but again.. I don't
know and I don't WANT to know about the innards of iMacs...

daniel