[rescue] X startup

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 3 15:06:49 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, April 3, 2002 at 13:28:30 (-0500), Sheldon T. Hall wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] X startup
>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot a set-up that used to work, I didn't change
> anything, yada, yada, but now when the X terminal connects it gets a strange
> login screen and,

what's "strange" about it?

The login process is handled by XDM (or whatever it's called under SunOS-5.7)

> once logged in, you get no window manager at all.
>
> Sometime during the process, dtwm is dumping core, too.

That certainly explains the lack of a window manager -- dtwm is the WM.  ;-)

Did you change any of your window manager configuration in any way?
(create new menu entries, icons, desktops, whatever)

(look for a recent modification timestamp on your ~/.dtwmrc and so on....)

> This only happens with my HP X-term; using an X emulator from a PC works
> fine.

Did any settings on the HP Xterm change?  Have you rebooted it?

--
								Greg A. Woods