[rescue] Seagate firmware

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 3 13:59:38 CST 2002

> Is it possible to reflash the firmware on these [[Seagate ST343721]]
> disks to something that will work outside a [[Compaq]] storage array?
> The original firmware labelled on the disks is numbered *0756*.

Mike--
Check out
  http://www.nu2.nu/scsitool/
which I found while hunting around for solutions to a
similar (perhaps identical) problem with some Compaq-
labeled Seagate drives I obtained via ePay.  Somewhere
at home I have the URL to the non-advertised page
where Bart stores all sorts of relevant firmware.

To make a long story short, I never got a chance to
follow through all-the-way on updating firmware in
the two drives I have, so they're still sitting
around unused.  (I needed to swap the drives into
a different chassis with a non-RAID SCSI adapter,
find cables, reboot off floppy to use scsitool, etc.)
Let me know if you get the firmware updates to work.

(This guy has other software of interest on his site--
in particular, http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ has info on
how to create updated NT4/W2K/XP CDs that include
service packs and hotfixes--which for some of us could
make our lives much easier.  Again, I haven't had a
chance to turn theory into practice myself.)

HTH--

  --Rip