[rescue] Gnome on Solaris

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Apr 3 05:05:44 CST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 05:00:27PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> > is performance covered?  on my ultra2 at work GNOME (i installed Ximian) is
>
> In the FAQ?  Somewhat, yeah.

not that it matters.  i'll never run it anyway.  wankerware as far as i'm
concerned.  although i *AM* the OpenLook nut. :)

> Are you running Nautilus?  If so, don't.  It's a great program and all,
> but it was NOT written on/for Solaris, and doesn't run worth shit there,
> yet.  I understand the GNOME 2 version is better on Solaris (not to
> mention being FAST).  Unfortunately, it's just in beta right now.

i don't think i was, no.  i was just starting GNOME with no apps of any
kind, since it was too slow to start them up. ;)

> Well, it should, except that I'm surprised it even starts on that
> machine.  :-(  The folks who did most of the hacking on Nautilus are
> nice and all, but they were being paid to make it work on Linux, and not
> anywhere else.

linux-centric crud.  that stuff is all silly fluff anyway.  no big loss for me.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)