[rescue] wrong list?

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Apr 3 03:02:12 CST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 02:54:20AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Mutt confuses things (IMO) somewhat with its 'ignore_list_reply_to'
> feature and mis-named 'group-reply' function.  On the other hand it has
> a 'list-reply' function that "Does The Right Thing(tm)", exactly the
> same sort of thing I've been wanting to implement in VM

i'll have to look into this list-reply thing.  didn't even know it had that.
although i honestly haven't had the time to really site down and learn mutt.

> Maybe there are lots of Mutt users on this list?

i'm one.  as an ex-elm user who needed imap support and so was finally convinced
to switch away from elm, i love mutt.

> The real solution is of course to encourage the responder to actually
> think about where the message he or she is writing needs to go, and make
> it easy for that person to get the desired behavior from the MUA.  The

ok, i'll agree here.

> prerequisite to this though is that mailing list managers must stop
> munging the reply-to header.  The solution lies in the MUA, not the MLM.
> Munging the reply-to header (or the from header, or even the
> mail-{followup,reply}-to headers) makes it much more difficult, and
> sometimes impossible, to do the right thing in the MUA.

why?  bill has mailman munge Reply-To: and mutt handles it quite well.  it
gives me the choice of replying to the list OR to the poster.  works very
well.  and there is no reason why the MLN can't help out.  it doesn't need
to be the sole responsability of the MUA.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)