[rescue] Ultra 2 Power

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Wed Apr 3 00:59:33 CST 2002

BH> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 10:00:55PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> It does, and "shutdown -p now" works too but it does not seem to want
>> to power back up if shutdown cold.  I'm not near it right now but I
>> think I'll see if I can't dig through the prom for something that
>> might change the way it acts.

BH> i'm not entirely sure what you meant by that.  it doesn't like powering on,
BH> but as long as it's on everything is ok?

What I meant was that if it's on and running and the power goes out it
will stay off rather than turn back on - which was it's last "known"
state.  The "shutdown -p now" thing (halt -p?) was my way of
indicating that the "smart" power supply was talking to the system.

BH> i never thought of that.  mine is (was) my tape box.  had all the tape drives
BH> connected to it.  TZ30, 4mm, 1/4 QIC, and a SCSI attatched 9-track streamer
BH> that unfortunately i have to give back to its owner.  the 4mm died and i now
BH> have a new one and an 8mm, but i think they are both going to go in the Onyx.
BH> although you never know, i might break down and but everything back in the
BH> LX.  but then i run into that FDDI problem.  hell, what am i talking about,
BH> tape can't go fast enough, besides, i'll put my two DLT libraries on the Onyx
BH> instead.  yeah.  :)

I'm working on a tape backup server here too.  I've got a good
8mm 8500xl external Exabyte with good tapes that I want to use.  (Sorry
Bill, I knew you were looking for one at one time but I didn't want to
give mine up without having a replacement solution.)

As for speed - that's not my problem. My problem is connecting to
_all_ the machines to do the backups when I need to do them
completely.  I might be able to use Samba but I'm not sure how it
would handle under that load.  And the free NFS server for Windows I
ran across seems to blow chunks when I try and put any bandwidth
through it.

I'll find some solution even if it's load Exceed 5 on both Windows
boxes - I'm pretty sure it comes with a small NFS server.

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net