[rescue] Linux Luserisms (was: secondary market storage?)

Phil Schilling phils at gcstech.net
Tue Apr 2 20:43:22 CST 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> > > What's so bad about Solaris/x86?
<snip>

> > it's HCL BLOWS.
<snip>
> > that, and it's really not all that stable.  all in all, not worth the time or
> > effort.
soo for Brian

> Okay, those are good reasons.  When I installed Solaris/x86
> I took a look at the HCL and installed on the spare system
> that had approved hardware.
as Eric states

I have deleted the os flame wars and been quiet until now.  Every OS has its
good and bad points, to hack any one because of your personal bad experience is
bullsh**t.  I have had bad experiences with every OS but I don't flame anyone
else for using them.

FWIW: Solaris 8 x86 on Envista Frontline Server Quad PPro200 w/512 cache, 512mb
ram, mylex raid running 12 drives via mylex's raid 6 (semi raid 10) until ice
storm 2 weeks ago up from 226 days no problem running apache, sendmail and
dns.  Would have been longer than 226 had it not been for hard drive upgrades.
Also runs my dual PPRo 200 Netserver w/6 drive array at my house that rsyncs
essentials from the Envista above with the same rock solid results.

Run NetBSD on 26 firewalls under my control, also Linux on some Samba setups
replacing NT servers.  And Solaris on my ultra for my workstation.  Everything
has its place.  Learn it before blasting it.

Phil

--
"I talk to myself, and when I do that, I know I am talking to an
           intelligent person" - Nelson DeMille

        Phil Schilling - GCS Tech - phils at gcstech.net