[rescue] RS/6000 BIST did not start

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Apr 2 20:23:14 CST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:57:04PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Darryl Barile wrote:
>
> I had a machine display that code once. The machine had one of the HDD
> power cables grounded. So make sure you check all them wires coming out of
> the PSU.
>
> > BIST means Built in Self-Test
> >
> > 888 is not good news....
> >
> > My suggestion after dealing with several RS/6000's is to do the
> > following
> >
> > Pull out each card
> > Completely clean out the case
> > re-insert the cards
> > try again
> >
> > I have a set of manuals for the 7012 series and would be glad
> > to help you diagnose it. But try the clean out first.

thanks guys!!  i opened up the case, saw the extra memory boards i put in,
thought, hmmm, and removed them.  machine boots up great.  i'm now going to
pull all the memory out of the cards, blow the slots out, reseat the memory
and put the cards back in.

so i have a question.  there are 8 slots for memory daughter boards.  the
current two are in the 4th and 8th slots (counting from the top)

where do the next set of boards go?  does it matter?  i had them in the 3rd
and 7th slots, but that obviously didn't work.

ideas?  in the meantime i'm going to pull the original mem boards and replace
them with the new ones to make sure the new ones aren't bad.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)