[rescue] Linux Luserisms (was: secondary market storage?)

Monty Walls mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us
Tue Apr 2 10:44:04 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:10:23 -0500
Andrew Sydelko <andrew at sydelko.org> wrote:

> > > Slackware dude.
> > >
> > > And Linux does have a few real advantages in some instances like good
> > > pcmcia support, and netware support (which is a necessity for me)..
> >
> > Except that pcmcia support isn't as good in the 2.4 kernels as in the
> > 2.2 kernels.  That Linus fellah decided he could do a better job than
> > the best existing pcmcia implementation out there, and failed.  Grr.
>
> What is this opinion based on? I've found that the 2.4 pcmcia is miles better
> than the 2.2 support. The new yenta_socket driver is much better than the
> equivalent i82365 driver under 2.2.
>
> --andy.

Sort of better.  If you have a older pcmcia card and plug it in you
can really screw things (original wavelan pcmcia card requires
isa interupts which you could force using the older drivers).  For modern
cards the new yenta_socket driver is not too bad, but nowhere as
flexible as the old driver.

What you want is to disable kernel pcmcia support and re-add the
external kernel-pcmcia-cs package if the kernel ones don't work
for you.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission