[rescue] Linux Luserisms (was: secondary market storage?)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Apr 2 07:47:15 CST 2002

> > Unix and secure out of the box are, for the most part,
> > mutually exclusive.  After you install you need to load
> > all the released patches, just like with most Linux
> > distributions.
>
> Another person who doesn't use OpenBSD.

Yes, I don't use OpenBSD.  But I see OpenBSD listed in
some of the latest CERT advisories, so to actually use
it for anything you'll have to install the latest patches
after installation and keep watch for future advisories.

> > Now that Linux is so popular, are all the *BSDs redundant?
>
> I dunno.  Does Linux have class-based QoS support in the kernel?

This I'm not sure of, as I don't need QoS.

> An NFS implementatation that doesn't suck?

The newer implementations are better.

> Does it ship with a modern, relatively secure version of SSH/OpenSSH
> out of the box?

I think RedHat 7.2 ships with a modern version.

> Maybe what's redundant, at least on this list, are OS flames
> however...

That's probably true.  I run several different OSes myself.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net