[rescue] Linux Luserisms (was: secondary market storage?)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Mon Apr 1 23:49:17 CST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 12:40:33AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Now, once upon a time, wasn't it that the OS managed the graphics hardware,
> and X ran on the overlay planes?  I'm not sure how hardware cursors, hardware
> bitblts, etc fit into that picture, but I'm told they did.  I know that quite
> a lot of systems over the years were written for SGIs to be run without X, but
> while still using the 3D hardware.

wasn't the big pain in the ass with the SVGAlibs that they had to basically
rewrite the hardware abstraction layer since it existed in X and not in the
OS?  i could be way off as i'm more of a server guy and don't pay too much
attention to stuff like graphics.

> Besides, digital voodoo cards (see http://www.digitalvoodoo.net/products.htm)
> have nothing to do with X, unless you want to do a Quantel type thing with
> the gui running on an SDI monitor (thing like firewire, except much higher
> end).

ok, this falls outside the realm of video cards since this is more like the
Sirius Video option than "normal" video hardware.  support for it would be
nice, yes, but since this isn't meant to be something to run X (not saying it
can't, but i think you know what i mean) it should be thought of as a network
adapter or scsi card.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)