[rescue] Solaris net install question

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 1 21:32:58 CST 2002

I have some experience with the Linux, *BSDs, AIX, and DG/UX, but I want
to get more familiar with Solaris (but NOT Solaris on x86 :).  I have an
IPX with 48MB that I was playing with OpenBSD on, but have kicked around
the idea of Solaris 2.7.  I have the media, but no cd drive.  Can
Solaris net-boot/install from a Linux system or OpenBSD?  I've done it
with NetBSD, but Solaris?

Now I know Solaris won't run well on this system, but I am looking for a
machine to do DNS serving for my LAN and maybe an IMAP server.  Nothing
strenuous.  Also, I won't be running X11 as I am only hooked up via a
serial console and have no need for remote X on this box.  This is only
a learning exercise.  So, is it possible?

Thanks,
Bill