[rescue] RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Apr 1 18:46:15 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 15:55, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:36:06PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 13:54, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > > On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:17:11PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> >
> > I think you guys have too much budget...  :)  For what it's worth, Linux
> > software RAID outperforms every in-box RAID controller that I've found
> > (in box meaning on a PCI card, or the like).
>
> This assumes that we aren't talking about Raid 3 or 5.  I've seen benchmarks
> for hardware raid5 being faster for inbox raid (using AMI controller).

Hmm, I've not seen this, and I've gotten my hands on a couple of the AMI
ExtremeRAID controllers.  How recently was this?

> That said, my approach on current file server project (for various reasons this
> became an urgent need so that I can repurpose the current fileserver), I'm
> going with raid 0+1 since older scsi disks are cheap, I have several chasis
> for them, and CPU mirroring and striping is quite fast.

Let me know if you need help getting any of that up and running.
There's actually another set of tools from the RAIDtools suite, which
quite a few people like better.  I think it's ought to replace the
RAIDtools, I just haven't written things up that way just yet.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.