[rescue] RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Apr 1 14:44:21 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Chris Byrne wrote:

> I would Highly recommend looking at the MTI solution. It's highly
> modular and scales from under a terr to over 100. I've found them in
> general to be very responsive and willing to work with a customer
> since they know they're at a big disadvantage with EMC, Hitachi, HP,
> IBM, Sun, and Compaq all ahead of the game on them.

Heh. The product looked good, but I had an uberdweeby sales rep when I
brought them in to pitch against Sun and Baydel. He recited the quote to
me, line for line, misreading gigabytes as "megabytes" every time... at
the time it was around $85K for 217GB or so... and when I didn't go with
him, he called me and railed on me for 23 minutes about how I wasn't
taking my company's needs into consideration by choosing a product better
suited to my needs and budget. I just sat there and listened, letting him
dig his hole, and I tell that story to every storage vendor I meet with.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I know a guy who would preach the Netapp
gospel to you, and I could tell the story about them promising
faster-than-local-disk and the sales guy not bringing enough spindles in
to get within 10% of it... or the Auspex guys coming into my company at
the time--one of the earlier GigabitEthernet routing switch companies--and
saying nobody was using GigE so it didn't matter... funny that with all
this crud I end up working for a storage company. :) Raidzone looks cool
to me these days, actually. (I don't work for them though)

--Rob