Why IRIX sucks (was Re: [rescue] Sparcstation 2 help! Please)

Alistair MacDonald rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 24 06:27:12 CDT 2001

=3D=3D=3D brt at osk.sema.se 24/09/2001 12:04:51 =3D=3D=3D
>Alistair MacDonald wrote:

*** Note - I didn't write this bit, but Bjorns mailer messed up the =
quoting ***
>> >Can I ask what it is about IRIX that sucks so bad?

*** I wrote this bit though ... ***
>> Simple. IRIX sucks because it costs $300 for media and you still don't =
have a licence.

>Heh...
>For some reason that amount of money quite insignificant when you pay
>$300.000 worth of hardware, don't you think?
>$300 i todays prices. Compare that with what your I2 or Indy cost when
>they were new.

If I was paying $300,000 for it then yes, it is insignificant. I'm not - =
I'm paying around $300. By that logic I should be able to get the media =
for about $3. Even Sun don't do the media that cheap!

Of course, the real point is availability. If I want Solaris I can get the =
core of solaris for free, or I can pay Sun to get the CDs with all the =
extra bits. If I want IRIX I can't do this. So I run Linux. (I still can't =
do the graphics, but at least I can use the hardware!) If I could get IRIX =
media and licence for around $70 I'd get it today.

Alistair