[rescue] CM-5

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 17:25:06 CDT 2001

patrick at zill.net writes:

>Dave McGuire wrote:
>>   I think it's a very reasonable price if it's complete...Though the
>> number of people on the planet who would be able to get ir running
>> numbers in the low tens.
>>
>>    -Dave

>Morgantown WV location indicates FedGov usage.

>As to the guy who asked about "64 network addresses", I think that
>refers to the internal network node addressability.

>For $15k I would sooner buy about 10 used but loaded Octanes or 30 new,
>loaded PCs running Unix and cluster them.  Would probably use less power
>and be easier to use (plus, you can play networked Quake on them - do
>THAT with a CM5!) ... but that's just me.

No one would buy that as a production machine. It's simply *cool*.

They're also *ridiculously* large & heavy. The RCS is doing a gallery
show for industrial design next month, and we can't bring our CM5
cabinet because it won't fit through one of the doors. Not even close.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
--------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------