[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 21:45:09 CDT 2001

> > They run relatively cool (as far as intel processors go), don't require
>
> That's not true at all.  Indeed the PPro was one of the first Intel
> processors that really does require a fan.  Any model running at 200MHz
Yes, these guys generate a lot of therms, but they are rated to operate at
temps of up to 85c, (although I personally try to keep them much, much
cooler.)

> > they usually have a good amount of on-chip cache
> > memory, the cache runs at core speed,
>
> It's still much harder to find a 512kb PPro, and 1mb ones are very rare,
> and they're still quite expensive, relatively speaking.
The 512K and 1 meg chips are increasingly common and cheaper by the day
here... check www.compgeeks.com

> > sings! The Overdrive is a PII with a full speed cache on a Socket 8
(PPro)
> > chip.
>
> That's a cool idea!
>
> Do you have to use a motherboard that can deliver a clock that fast?

no, you just run them like a PPro 200, and they just 'do the right thing'.