[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 29 19:58:26 CST 2001

Beating the dead horse a bit...

On Saturday, October 27, 2001, at 06:14  PM, George W Adkins wrote:

>> for most users. People who are Doctors, Accountants, Salespeople, etc.
>> really need computers that get the heck out of the way and just aid
>> them
>> as they do thier job -- the computers need to be invisible, and for
>> them
>> the GUI and command line don't really do that.
>
> these people are the problem in the first place.  They are the ones who
> say:
> "I don't care if it works better or saves time, I want to do it THIS
> way...:
> and
> "But I NEEEEEEEED It!"

Yep, that's a big pain ... but "these people" aren't going to go away,
there will always be more people who have jobs that don't really involve
computers, but who work with them anyway (at present).

My point was to suggest that the challenge is to provide a computerized
environment they can use that really does help automate thier jobs and
enhance the quality of the work they can perform -- but doesn't require
them to be Systems Administrators (which they really don't have the time
to learn).

I just don't think such an environment exisits yet, and I don't even
know that I'm forward-looking enough to say what it would look like. The
SunRay seems to be part of the way there, but are there any software
vendors doing anything really inovative with them?

> the kind of people who think that only Micro$oft Orifice can read and
> write
> .doc files, who send HTML e-mail, and who insist on printing out copies
> of
> information on web pages "just in case I want to look at it again
> later..."
>
> The people make me physically ill.  I want to go back to the "good old
> days'
> when being a computer operator meant something other than being able to
> wrap
> you fingers around a mouse and click.

Right, these people shouldn't have to be "computer operators." And right
now, with the state of desktop PCs they really do, either that or bother
folks like me all bleeding day about stuff that they shouldn't have been
able to screw up in the first place.

--
drouse