[rescue] Ethernet Problem.

Mike Valley rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 29 12:41:04 CST 2001

I have a strange problem with a Sparc 20 that I purchased from ebay. I was
able to load Solaris 8 on it successfully and thought everything would
working fine with the network. I configured the system to use dhcp and
hooked the sparc up to a known working line that was previously attached to
a Windows Box.  I boot up the Sparc 20 and I receive errors saying the it
cannot obtain a dhcp address. Since I know that the cable is good and the
dhcp server is working, I proceed to hit Stop-A and enter Openboot. There, I
ran the diags on the TPE network device and it says that the internet &
external test work. So, what gives? Is the Ethernet port damaged in some
way, or is this a software issue?

------
Mike Valley
Network Engineer