[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 27 22:33:56 CDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 11:08:23PM -0400, George W Adkins wrote:
> > I'm told the king is Maya, but I've never been able to get hands on time
> > with that either.
>
> I recently obtained a big SGI box (Onyx RE2) and want to try my hand at some
> animation work on it.  I was considering poking around with Blender, but I
> was told that it will make NO use of the Hardware in the box.

OK, I can't swear for sure that Blender on SGI uses hardware.  However, I
know that without hardware on Intel, it crawls on even 550mhz
P3s.  However, on a 160 r5k O2, it is quite snappy.  Further, both the
windows and linux versions use GL, so why wouldn't the SGI version?

Blender isn't quite professional quality in a few areas.  The IK system
specifically has had problems.  I don't know it they have been fixed
yet.  But still, Blender is sorta headed in the right direction.  I'm not
really a big fan how the whole game blender thing, but they don't show any
signs of letting it interfere with the animation side of things, so I
can't complain.  They are definately better than any of the budget
software, like Truespace.

--
Joshua D. Boyd