[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 27 09:53:50 CDT 2001

> I think the argument (proposition?) was regarding the impact of adding a
GUI
> to a *users* productivity. Obviously, GIMP would be less usefull if it
were
> text-based...

The argument actually started out as "XP is the ultimate in useability".
This was backed up with "People shouldn't have to remember commands and have
to type them".  Both of these are flawed statements in my opinion.

The reason I use Unix is because I have the *choice* of typeing or using a
GUI - not being forced into either by an OS.  Personally, I prefer to type,
and feel I can out perform any GUI-clicky-pointy admin attempting to do
[insert admin task here].

The fact that it's free (or low cost), configureable, can be made extremely
secure, and remotely adminable (in a secure fashion) all contribute to my
preference.

I do, however, give props to Win2000 for stability and the ability to run
games like Tribes without significant problems.  However, I do have to
restart it once per week - or it goes stupid on me.  I do use Outlook
Express, and I'm ashamed to admit that I like it.  I'm considering Eudora
though - because it saves in Unix mailbox format, making all my mail
portable in the future...

Kurt