[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 22:32:08 CDT 2001

On Sat, 2001-10-27 at 01:32, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > > Where does M$ find these people? Our M$ rep seemed to be brainwashed or
> > > something, it was like he had some kind of personal infactuation w. Billy
> > > boy it was pretty scary..... Then he tried to convince us to switch from
> > > LaTeX to Office XP. At that point I stopped listened and I left in the
> > > middle of his sentence, what a waste of my time!
> > >

> > I often wonder, why would someone pay $200 (or more) for an OS that has no
> > significant business impact.  I mean - what *are* the benefits of XP?  Can
> > someone explain to me in tangible terms why *any* business would make a
> > switch to XP?
>
> Studies have shown that adding a GUI to an application does not improve
> productivity.

Which studies?  Where can I get them?

There are clearly some applications for which adding a GUI does improve
productivity, and others for which adding a gui does not.

> Anyone who has ever watched a touch typist at a SABRE (airline ticket)
> or similar terminal based app knows what I mean.  There is just NO WAY
> that a GUI would make things faster.  Heck, even the slowpokes at the
> post office are zippier than the Unisys text terminals, which can't keep
> up with their typing.

How about web page/site designers?  I'm not talking about the people who
make the HTML work, but the people who design the look and feel, and the
navigation of the website?  I can come up with some other examples, but
there are applications that go each way.
I hope I'm not coming off too gruff here, let me know if your feathers
are rubbed the wrong way.
	Greg