[rescue] Wooohhhooo XP -> 0 to BSOD in 12min23sec

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 17:02:11 CDT 2001

> "Well, look at some of the people using computers. Discouraging. The
> appreciation for a stable, intelligent, useful operating system seems to
> be disappearing. Users seem to want pretty icons, wizards and making
> things work without having to know anything. I want to figure out how it
> works and do things by hand so the do indeed work.

I succeeded in totally frustrating a co-worker today who was convinced that
only ultra-experienced users could use Linux, and Windows XP is the greatest
thing since, well, Windows 98.

I had a load of fun arguing exactly the opposite of what he said - which was
that GUIs make the learning curve much shorter, and result in higher
productivity.  Bullshit, I said.  GUIs like XP are a crutch, and don't
result in *any* type of performance or productivity enhancements.

I don't know whether or not that's actually true, as I'm not a research
scientist by any stretch, but I have a suspicion that *any* GUI will allow
you to do exactly the same thing - Windowmaker, XP, CDE, GNOME, KDE,
whatever...  If you take the time to learn it, you can do exactly the same
thing in any GUI.

He was, of course, trying to convince me to put XP on my system.  The
argument started out with him claiming that XP is the current pinnacle of
usability for OSs.  I did, of course, disagree...

Kurt