[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 14:12:22 CDT 2001

I do theings at the command line whenever possible, too. I actually feel
like I'm cheating ewhen I use a GUI. There are useful GUI tools, though,
and having a full array of tools is still useful.

It certainly does make sense to learn command line tools *first*. As you
point out there is no GUI without a command line. You can't lose by
knowing the command line method. If we're just talking about teaching, I
would tend to agree with you more.

Maybe it's more like my college math teacher would say about a
calculator. You can use the calculator *after* you show me you can do it
by hand. Or like woodworking tools. You learn how to use a handsaw
before a tablesaw.