[rescue] Cert Testing, was Re: Just a thought

Steve Hatle rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 11:16:23 CDT 2001

Way back, when we bought our Tricord (don't ask) I went to their Field
Engineer class.

Besides all the book stuff, they had two "practical sessions".

In the first one, they assigned two people to one machine, and you had
to take it apart into all it's components (CPU cards, memory cards,
disks and disk chassis, power supply units, power controller, backplane,
etc.). Then, you had to go to a different machine than the one you took
apart, and put it all back together so it booted and ran correctly.

The second test was while we were at lunch, their techs went into each
of the six machines, and introduced some kind of failure. You had to
correctly diagnose 4 of the 6 machines. Pretty specifically, too. Not
"the controller can't talk to the disks", but "Fuse two on disk
backplane one is failed". The icky one was where they randomly
re-arranged a bunch jumpers on the CPU boards. Nothing was apparent by a
quick visual inspection- you had to have the right diagram for that
particular rev of board in front of you to know if they were right or
wrong.

Steve