[rescue] xyplex

Linc Fessenden rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 09:06:58 CDT 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Brian,
>
> Which Xyplex are you trying to get running? I picked up a Maxserver 1600
> from Mr. Nicewonger yesterday, and could use some advice getting it
> running. Will it take an arbitrarily sized flash card? I've got these
> 20Mb ones here, and if they'll work I'd like to use them. Also, do I
> *need* to put SIMMs in the slots inside, or will it run without them? I
> just bid on some 1M 30-pin simms on e-bay (Mike told me he'd just thrown
> the 1M ones away).
>
> If it'll read the 20M flash card, maybe I could send you two, you keep
> one and put the software on the other and send it back? I grabbed the
> software from Mr. Sharp (thanks!), but don't have any way to write it to
> a flash card to test it. Unless I can get someone with a laptop to do
> it. But how is the card formatted?
>
> Thanks,
>

> ---sambo

Psssst - Hey Sambo, I have the same problems and the same Xyplex.  If you
have an extra extra flash card It would be *much* appreciated :-)  You
could just send that one to Brian as well since I live about 15 mins away.
Seriously though, neither of us has gotten it runnning yet although it's
high on the project priority list.  I am sure you need ram to get the
thing to netboot, but not so sure you actually need the ram (or as
much) if you have the os on a flash card. Hmmmm - I really need to play
with this thing...  Whatcha think Brian?  U busy tonight?

-Linc Fessenden