[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 08:58:12 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:16:24PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Didn't the book you contributed to require GUI access to the server?
> >
> > I am not saying that is wrong, but GUI access is assumed in all the books I
> > see.
>
> yes, it is wrong.  i have yet to work for a place that has framebuffers on its
> servers.  no-one in their right mind would pay extra for a framebuffer on a
> SERVER.  so if you rely on a GUI to admin your machine you are screwed if you
> get a job anywhere i've ever worked.

Err, can't you usually pipe the display when using GUI tools for admin
work?  At campus, the cs 2k server is admined by something like VNC
running in a web browser (I don't know what it actually is, just that it
looks like in effect an X Server written in Java, except with Windows
instead of X).  And this is NT.  Piping is even easier on X, as we all
know.  I still maintain that X is really only meant for easier organizing
of RXVT sessions, plus maybe a load meter.  But I only maintain that when
feeling ornery.

--
Joshua D. Boyd