[rescue] Just a thought - what would be a good starter SPARC system these days?

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 22:19:31 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:19:57PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Bill,
> Didn't the book you contributed to require GUI access to the server?

Why would a chapter on VI require gui access to the server?  Consider
ohno.mrbill.net, the main machine that the sunhelp.org web pages and
lists run off of.

It has a PS/2 keyboard and mouse connection, and built-in PGX24 graphics -
but they've never been used.  The last time I physically touched the system
was late June; I havent even been back down there where its located since
then.

> I am not saying that is wrong, but GUI access is assumed in all the books I
> see.

Yes, and people who go completely by the book, will be lost if their system
crashes and they cant get it back up to the point where they can log in
with a pretty graphical interface.

> And as soon as someone figures out how to put "field training" in a *book*,
> the publishers  will offer it - until then, books will only be good for
> "book learning" ;^)

You know exactly what I mean...  People who dont know anything BUT the
GUI interface for certain things are just asking for trouble.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net