[rescue] 8mm tape drive repair

Ido Dubrawsky rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 19 11:26:30 CDT 2001

I've got a Sun 8mm tape drive (Exabyte 8500 mechanism, full height case) which
is having trouble writing to tapes.  At first I thought it was bad tapes since
my old Exabyte 8200 couldn't write to them either.  However, after swapping out
the 8500 for the 8200 and using the 8200 for a while with a set of "good" tapes,
I put the 8500 back in service and last night's backup failed because of tape
write errors.

So, now I'm back to suspecting the 8500 drive and would like to send it off for
repair (also trolling Ebay for possibly a new tape drive).  Does anyone have
any recommendations on good repair shops for Exabyte drives?

Ido

P.S. Also, I still have the Sun manuals that I posted a few weeks ago.  They
     are still available.  I would like to have them off my hands by monday
     (I'm leaving on a business trip to Switzerland on tuesday and won't be
     back until the following sunday).  If you're interested in picking them
     up this weekend or you want me to ship them on monday, contact me offline.

                        |Ido Dubrawsky               E-mail: idubraws at cisco.com
     |          |       |Network Security Engineer
    :|:        :|:      |Cisco Secure Consulting Services
   :|||:      :|||:     |Cisco Systems, Inc.