[rescue] OT: Q about HP-UX (stupid problem...)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 19 10:13:51 CDT 2001

We'll see,

the only thing that was off, was the nsswitch had
hosts: dns nis files, I changed it to hosts: files dns
and the hosts file had my *local* static IP, not my
"real-world" IP address:

internal IP: 192.168.1.160

Internet IP: (something on Verizion DSL, dynamic)

My *.n2vip.dyndns.org DNS entry points to my linksys,
which points to my hp box (192.168.1.160).

I can telnet to hpbox.n2vip.dundns.org from inside my
network w/o problems.

Wait, it is rebooting now...

Failsafe works fine (as you suspected, and I assumed)

Regular sessions work - YEA! Now I can go to work!

Why would that make a difference? it should have
timed-out and gotten to files *or* DNS which would
have been accurate? (yet, oddly, different!)

Now, follow-up questions:

How do I "activate" or get the system to
acknowledge/use the VSIMM part I put in the VSIMM
slot, allowing me to go above 1024x768x8 bit color?
On a Sun I would do a "boot -r" to force new hardware
to be "discovered"...

Are there special reasons why I can't go to console
mode? The login (dtlogin?) is not accepting my enter
key pressed to trigger a console log-in (text
terminal).

THANKS,

Ken
--- Randy Bowie <r.bowie at pentasafe.com> wrote:
> Ken,
>
> Does the failsafe (mwm) session work OK? I bet it
> does.
>
> Your 712 has a static(non-routeable) IP right?  Make
> sure that nsswitch.conf
> has the entry:
>
> hosts:  files dns
>
> Yes, HP-UX 10.2 uses nsswitch.conf you just have to
> create one(you can also
> use sam to create the service switch).  Make sure
> /etc/hosts has at the your
> static IP address and hostname entry(you can also
> use sam for this too).
>
> HTH

It sure did!

Thanks again...