[rescue] OT: Q about HP-UX (stupid problem...)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 19 09:11:13 CDT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to get this HP 712/60 up and running, but
I am having a few problems:

The box comes up fine, the box is on my network, the
box is in my DMZ (every port from internet goes to my
DMZ host).

When I boot the machine up, itruns fine - I can telnet
into it, do as I please, no problem.

If I sit at the console, and try and open up a CDE
session, *everything* is normal, except I get a pop-up
box telling me to checkout the file
$HOME/.dt.errorlog.

When I do, it complains about ttsession not bing
installed, not being installed properly.

While the error message (above) is displayed, I have
what appears to be a complete CDE session behind it.

If I wait, I get another message (_DTMessage Failure)
telling me the Messaging System (in) Inoperative.

Now, I am on a dyndns.org "dynamic IP" address, but I
have wildcards enabled, so *.n2vip.dyndns.org will
resolve to my Linksys router, which will point all
incoming network activity to my DMZ host, the HP
box...

I have watched (and heard - "snoop -a"!) the HP box do
a short port scan (about 40 or 50 ports in succession)
while displaying the "credits" screen (dthello?)
before drawing a perfect CDE session, and posting the
error message.

While the error message is displayed, ttsession is
running, with the following commandline options:

     ttsession -s -d :0.0

but after I let the X session exit (click OK), the
ttsession task is gone.

"What in the Wide World of Sports" is going on here?

It was working fine, before I upped the added a
VSIMM/graphics option card from another 712/60?

For those keeping score at home, this 712/60 was
giving me *massive* video problems - turns out the
IOGEAR KVM I was using was causing problems where the
screen would just blank out for a short (1/2 second to
1 second) period... When I dropped an iiyama 17"
monitor on the VGA port, all is fine...

I'll hold on to my second question, becuase I need an
answer to this question before it is an issue...

Thanks in advance,

Ken

=====
Ken