SS2 bootstrapping (was: [rescue] Re: [geeks] Sun-HOWTO)

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 14:37:25 CDT 2001

Red hat..?.. Urgh!  Chuck that out and try  Debian GNU  (www.debian.org). ;-)

> I read somewhere that the TFTP protocal has instructions with it. Would it
> be best to set up RH on a PC and get the TFTP server going?

Yes!  To date, I have never used a Floppy or CD to Bootstrap a Sparc,
*ever*.  These things [Suns] are a genius of design.  They are *designed* to
work using a Networked environment, right from the word "factory defaults".

The TFTP jobbie is going to be much better, and once you have it setup, you
can boot as many times as you want without needed to source floppies/cds
everytime.

Paul

(Don't read the above line as a troll... however, *do* try out Debian the
next time you have an available box space;  though I am *quite* happy if you
choose to switch to {Open,Net}BSD afterwards).