[rescue] TFT LCD and Suns/SGI q's

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 13:09:17 CDT 2001

CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com wrote:

> 1) These monitors accept DB-15 VGA input. Some of them accept RCA Analog or
> S-VHS input as well.

> 2) Most sun (and probably SGI) boxen's framebuffers push 13W3 output, which
> is 12 small pins and three large ones. I've used 13W3-to-VGA converters on
> Sun boxen with acceptable results. Not sure about SGI.

That is true, however on my Indigo2 the Solid Impact board has both 13W3
and VGA-style DB15 connectors.  I think some of the Suns do this too.

> 3) BEWARE. Cheap LCDs have a VERY bad rep in terms of quality. Things like
> this are probably this cheap for a reason.

OK, might spring for an extended warranty or try to buy one with a
credit card which doubles the warranty or somesuch.

> 4) Damn you for pointing this out to me. Now I'm looking very seriously at
> the Xenon 18-inch TFT and the Planar 18-inch monitors. They both take
> S-Video andRCA inputs and I'm seriously considering replacing both my TV
> and 17-inch CRT with one of these. AND Tiger Direct sez they want to give a
> $2000 line of credit so I can buy one. Bastards.

The Xenon looks nice.  I love my SGI 20" Trinitron, but sure would like
to have my desk back :-)

./patrick