[rescue] [Semi-OT] Sun History

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 00:04:19 CDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Scotty Logan wrote:

The original SUNs and SGIs used the same "homebrew" CPU board (Which was
an internal Stanford design).

The interesting thing about sun is (IMHO):

One of the museum displays says that the original SUN used Stanford HW
(the CPU), with Berkeley SW (BSD).

Later they adopted SPARC, which was based on Berkeley's research. So
shouldn't have they changed their name to BUN then? :-) If they wanted to
continue being "Stanford" they should have adopted MIPS