[rescue] NCD Explora 700 Software

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 22:00:56 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, October 16, 2001 at 20:18:47 (-0400), Mike Dombrowski wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] NCD Explora 700 Software
>
> ftp.ncd.com/pub/ncd/Archive/Binaries/Solaris/NCDwareV5.1.140.1_
> Solaris_bin.tar.Z has something but as I do not have my terminal
> yet I am unable to test. If this is not the real software

No, it's not the "real" software -- it's only the host-specific stuff,
and in particular some replacements for, and additions to, various X11
programs, boot support, printing support, etc.  It's not what you need
to boot the terminal.

> and anybody
> has this I would be willing to set up a ftp mirror.

you don't want to provide free access to licensed software, no matter
how much you don't like the vendor.....

> I'm also looking for
> docs.

The NCDware mauals, in both PDF and HTML form, are available from
ftp.ncd.com.

> Too bad the HP X-Terms aren't as nice as the NCDs from what I've
> seen

IIRC there are some _very_ nice HP X workstations, but I don't really
know much about them any more, and I've never used one (only played with
them at computer shows...  :-)

Now I do know Tek did make some excellent X workstations though....

> I really want 1024x768 16bit.

I don't think you'll get that exactly from any NCD.

The 19c and hmx are 1280x1024 8bpp.  The hmxpro24 is 24bpp.

I _REALLY_ want an HMXpro24 (or two or three!!!)!!!!  :-)

> On a related note, how do you
> work with the serial/parallel ports that X-Terms often come with?

To just connect a terminal window to a serial port on the NCD you just
pop up the console window and and select "New Serial.." from the
"Terminals" menu.

You can also use the serial port for SL/IP, PPP, Xremote, or for a
printer, or even for a console to the NCD itself.

>From the setup menu you can start a TCP daemon that listens on any
specified TCP port and dumps received data to the hardware port.
There's even a "parallel" and "serial" protocol that must be documented
somewhere.

I thought there was an LPR server in there too, but I can't see it.

> Is
> there a general platform-independant interface for controlling these?

Certainly -- TCP/IP or LAT, take your pick!  ;-)

There's also NCDnet, but I don't know if there's any source available
for the host-side tools to make this work again.

> Ideally I'd love to hook up my EEPROM programmer to an X-Term.

I just use them as a spare console/modem port when I need one in my office.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>