[rescue] Sun-HOWTO

Mike Dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 21:16:08 CDT 2001

On 16 Oct 2001, at 21:05, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:04:32PM -0400, Mike Dombrowski wrote:
> > >  c.  Where's the compiler?
> > >   I.  How to get/install GCC
> > Also, what packages are needed to get gcc working, the libraries,
> > etc.
>
> Just the gcc package, last time I installed it.

You also need some packages for ld, libraries, headers, etc. I
always manage to not install those somehow and end up having to
dig out cds. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

> > >   II.  Forte personal free license
> > What is this? Sun is giving away their compilers now?
>
> You can get a "personal use" license or 30-day evaluation keys.

Wow, that's quite nifty. I wonder if it's worth switching over from
gcc. Probably not but...

> > >  c.  (optional) compiling XFree86 on Solaris/SPARC
> > What does this get you/how does it work? I'm kinda disgusted with
> > Sun's X, all I want is a clean install with Blackbox + KDE. I was
> > going to try it out on my latest Solaris out but chickened out at
> > the last minute.
>
> Why disgusted?  I've never had any problems using stuff on top of
> Sun's X... the only time I ran XFree was when I had 8-bit systems and
> needed a bit "leaner" X server.

It just seems very sluggish to me and has all sorts of extra junk
installed. I remember X on my SS2/GX/OpenBSD being faster than
my U30/Creator. I don't really want all the "features" that it has plus
I like building up from nothing so I know what I have.

Mike