[rescue] OT: mozilla on IRIX

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 14 22:44:43 CDT 2001

On October 14, Matthew Haas wrote:
> >   Hey folks.  Anybody here ever use Mozilla under IRIX?
>
> I had 0.9.4 downloaded the other day... but I'm only running IRIX 6.2, and
> it spat a great many "unresolved symbols" and such at me. I figured it was
> because it was too tightly associated with 6.5.x...
>
> I'd love to find a binary for 6.2... but I've never been able to get the
> sucker to compile on NetBSD/sparc, so I'm even more wary about expecting
> to get as far on IRIX.

  I've been running 0.9.4 for two days under 6.5.  It's MUCH more
stable that Netscape 4.78, which crashes frequently while viewing
certain pages (CNN's pages in particular, which I've been looking at a
lot lately)...and Mozilla handles them fine.  I really like it so
far.  It totally kicks the shit out of Netscape.

  BUT.  It is slower than pissing tar.  I mean *really* slow!  This is
a big-balls R10K box...NOTHING is slow on this machine.  Except
Mozilla.  I was wondering if, since these are "devlopment" releases of
Mozilla from SGI, they were compiled without optimization...and if
anyone had compiled them with source, using the MipsPro compiler, with
optimization turned on.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire