[rescue] Linux/Sparc

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 15:20:02 CDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 09:45, Big Endian wrote:
> >On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Big Endian wrote:
> >Anyhow I currently run RH6.2 on most of my Sparcstations - well on my 20
> >and my Voyager.  I like sound support and NetBSD doesn't support sound on
> >those machines.
>
> I ran RH6.1 on a dual sm61/192/4gb AXIL320(ss20 clone) for a while
> and I was QUITE underwhelmed.  while it worked ok, the speed was

Chances are that this is because the Linux support for the SCSI chip in
these machines is rather poor.  I was getting 3MB/sec out of Linux, and
8+MB/sec out of Solaris 7.  I hear that the 2.4.x kernels are better in
this respect, but I'm not sure who's maintaining the sparc32 stuff now.
Since I don't run these machines as workstations, OpenBSD is the way to
go.
	Greg